I did some replenishing this week. We were completely out of peanut butter, which is a disaster in our house, so when I found a deal for $1.10/jar (sale plus coupons) I grabbed 4 jars. Kroger also had a good deal on blocks of cheese ($1.49/8oz) and frozen meatballs ($.99/bag after coupons) so I stocked up on both of those. The meatballs will especially come in handy when everyone is tired and we need a quick meal. John also requested a few items that were on sale (Cashews and Coke) and since I try to make sure he has what he likes to eat, I got some of those too. All in all it was a good week and pretty typical for grocery savings. Oh, and I did get some free gum – yeah for me!
Here are the totals:
Famous Bacon Potato Soup
Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
Homemade Pizza (cheese for the kids, grilled chicken pesto for the adults)
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Spaghetti & Meatballs (hello, Kroger sale meatballs!)
Crockpot Angel Chicken
Here is this week’s recipe:
I haven’t made this before but I thought I would give it a whirl. I got some white albacore tuna at a low price a few weeks ago and thought this might be a good way to use it. We’ll have to wait and see what the family thinks…
Tuna Noodle Casserole II
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour
Submitted By: Chris Smith
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
1 (16 ounce) package uncooked pasta shells
2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
4 slices processed American cheese
1 1/2 cups crushed cracker crumbs
1. Boil pasta in lightly salted water for 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain well. Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
3. Mix tuna with cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup, milk, salt, black pepper, and garlic in a medium saucepan. Place pan over medium low heat, and heat through. Alternatively, place these ingredients in a microwave safe dish, and warm in the microwave.
4. Mix tuna mixture with pasta. Spread 1/2 of the noodles into the prepared dish. Arrange the cheese slices over the noodles, then spread the remaining noodle mixture over the cheese. Top with crushed crackers.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes; cook until the casserole is hot, and the chips begin to brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.